“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities; in the expert’s mind there are few.” We apply this distinction to how one should approach the world of unstructured data and complex root cause analysis.
You’d recognize the melody and even hear the depth that comes from several parts being played together. But missing would be the horns, the winds, and those ever-important bass drums--or cannons, if you’re lucky--at the explosive close of the piece.
This is what data analysis using only structured data is like.
Only 20% of the world's data is searchable and usable. The remaining 80% of “dark data” is buried in unstructured data sources within organizational silos. To use data-as-strategic-asset, create new value, make critical decisions, and transform to the next-gen digital enterprise, business users need real time access to unstructured data: the PDFs, scanned documents, presentations, instant messages, emails, webpages, audio, video, graphs, drawings, artwork, social media feeds, and anything that doesn’t fit neatly into yesterday’s tabular format.
Admit it: Unstructured Data is a Big Problem!
When a company only has the ability to analyze structured data from Systems of Record, but unstructured data contained in emails, PDFs, audio files, and other sources is locked away, much of the story remains untold. We know there’s more: unstructured data completes the picture just as a full orchestra presents the Overture in all its richness.
The biggest issue: unstructured data is not intelligible or useful with the previous generation of relational database analytics, query, and visualization tools. Organizing and validating the data typically takes months or years. Worse yet, the data often cannot be combined or analyzed with other data sources. Solid analysis across data sources remains out of reach.
Mareana is uniquely able to discover, structure, and analyze data in any format. With end-to-end solutions effective in any industry, Mareana can help you define, solve, and deliver actionable insight. Increasing ROI, cost reductions, and process optimization are all possible the moment Mareana allies with your company.
What are your challenges working with unstructured data? We’d love to learn more. Send us a note to see how we can work together.